MARTIN J. WATERS
Martin (Marty) Waters is a corporate and securities partner in the San Diego office, a member of the firm's board of directors, and a former member of the firm's Policy Committee. He is a founding partner of the firm's San Diego office and Southern California corporate practice. He was a partner in the Palo Alto office until opening the San Diego office in 2004.
Marty is a proven company builder with nearly 20 years of experience providing corporate and securities counsel. He has been instrumental in starting, building, and shepherding through initial public offering or sale of numerous emerging growth companies in a broad range of industries, including biotech, clean technology, cloud computing, e-commerce, medical device, new and traditional media, SaaS, semiconductors, social networking, and telecommunications. A partial list of exited emerging growth clients includes Ablation Frontiers, CoreValve, Cytokinetics, evite, eyeonics, Helixis, Heritage Pharma, Illumina, Indigo Systems, Lara Networks, N Spine, Optimer Pharmaceuticals, Pain Therapeutics, SKS Microfinance, TearLab, and TweetPhoto. Marty also represents several public companies in a general counsel capacity, as well as investment banks and placement agents in PIPEs and public offerings. Marty has counseled issuers and underwriters in more than 50 offerings while at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati and with Cahill Gordon & Reindel and Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld in New York.
Marty's practice is international in reach, but he concentrates on leading the firm's efforts in representing public and private growth companies in San Diego, Orange County, and Los Angeles. He handles a wide variety of complex commercial transactions for clients, including public offerings of equity and debt securities; mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; venture capital financings; and formation and governance of partnerships, strategic alliances, and joint ventures.SELECT CLIENTS:
- Bridgepoint Education
- Cianna Medical
- Gunnar Optics
- Outdoor Channel Holdings
- Sofinnova Ventures
- SR One
- The Backplane
- Uptake Medical
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1991
- B.A., Georgetown University, 1988
- Member, Board of Directors, COMMNEXUS
- Member, Board of Directors, CONNECT
- Member, NanoBioNexus Advisory Council
- Member, PEERs Network
- Named among Southern California's top corporate attorneys in the 2011-2017 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, and earned kudos for his representation of emerging growth companies
- Recognized among San Diego's top corporate attorneys for 2011 and 2012 by San Diego Metropolitan Magazine
- Recognized as a "Life Science Star" in the finance and transactional section of LMG Life Sciences in 2012 and 2013
- Named to "Lawdragon 500 Leading Dealmakers"
- Named to "Lawdragon 500 New Stars, New Worlds"
- Ranked by the IPO Journal in the top 10 of the publication's "Top 100 Lawyers Acting as IPO Issuer's Counsel"
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of New York