D. DANIEL SOKOL
Senior Of Counsel
D. Daniel Sokol is Senior Of Counsel in the Washington, D.C., office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where his practice focuses on antitrust counseling. He advises companies on antitrust matters in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America.
Daniel is also Professor of Law at the University of Florida Levin College of Law. His antitrust course offerings include "International and Comparative Antitrust," "Antitrust Mergers," "Antitrust-IP," and "Antitrust Health Care," in addition to basic corporate offerings, "Global Corporate Compliance" and "Law and Entrepreneurship." He has taught short courses on antitrust, structuring venture capital, and corporate compliance at universities around the world. He is the editor of the "Antitrust and Competition Policy Blog" and co-editor of the first three volumes of the Global Competition Law and Economics book series (Stanford University Press), the Oxford Handbook of International Antitrust Economics Volumes 1 and 2 (Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2014), and the Global Antitrust Compliance Handbook (Oxford University Press 2014).
Daniel's work has been published in law reviews and peer-reviewed publications and spans numerous topics, including mergers, cartels, monopolization, pricing issues, compliance, corporate governance, institutional design, capacity building, government restraints, and comparative and international antitrust issues. He has provided technical assistance and capacity building to antitrust agencies and utilities regulators around the world. Daniel is also a non-governmental advisor to the International Competition Network for several working groups and is a frequent speaker to both practitioner and academic audiences globally.
In 2014, the Global Competition Review named Daniel the Antitrust Academic of the Year in its award ceremony, the first non-PhD economist so honored.EDUCATION:
- LL.M., University of Wisconsin Law School, 2007
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 2001
- M.St., University of Oxford, 1997
- B.A., Amherst College, 1996
Magna Cum Laude
- Chair, Antitrust Committee, Section of Intellectual Property Law, American Bar Association (2012-present)
- Chair, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section, American Association of Law Schools (2014; Vice Chair, 2013; Section Officer, 2009-2011)
- Chair, Law Professor's Section, Hispanic National Bar Association (2013-present)
- Vice Chair, Membership Committee, Section of Antitrust Law, American Bar Association (2009-present)
- Member, Merger Retrospective Committee, Section of Antitrust Law, American Bar Association (2012-present)
- Member, Task Force on Controlling Costs of Antitrust Enforcement and Litigation, Section of Antitrust Law, American Bar Association (2011-2012)
- Member, Board of Directors, Congregation Bnei Israel (2010-2012)
- Co-author with M. Rosman and J. VanHooreweghe, "One Small Provision for Barclays, One Big Step for Compliance," Law360, May 26, 2015
- Bar of the District of Columbia
- State Bar of Florida