THE WSGR EUROPEAN PRIVACY & DATA PROTECTION TEAM
Led by Cédric Burton, Partner, the firm's Brussels-based European privacy and data protection practice assists clients of all sizes in complying with the requirements of European privacy and data protection law. We advise clients in a broad array of industries, including the Internet, cloud computing, technology, social media, digital media, finance, and healthcare fields. Our Brussels attorneys work closely with the firm's global privacy and data protection team, which includes many highly experienced experts in the United States.
Among other matters, our attorneys have experience:
- Providing strategic advice on the upcoming changes to the EU data protection framework in light of the General Data Protection Regulation
- Developing strategies that enable clients to transfer personal data outside the EU, including implementation and approval of binding corporate rules (BCRs), use of EU standard contractual clauses, and assistance with membership in the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework
- Representing clients before national data protection authorities and liaising with European Institutions and the Article 29 Working Party on behalf of clients
- Counseling clients on sophisticated legal issues regarding online data processing and the use of technology, including drafting privacy impact assessments and ensuring privacy by design
- Drafting data transfer agreements, data processing agreements, and data protection language in commercial agreements
- Managing complex multijurisdictional data protection compliance projects, including global and pan-European privacy policies and terms and conditions
- Designing business and legal responses to data security breaches, assisting with performing data security audits, and complying with data security standards
- Advising on managing centralized HR databases and dealing with other privacy and data protection issues in the employment context
- Performing data protection due diligence in mergers and acquisitions
- Assisting with reconciling the demands of EU data protection law with conflicting legal obligations (such as U.S. e-discovery requirements, Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblowing obligations, government access requests, and law-enforcement demands)
Over the last ten years, Cédric has been dealing with data protection and privacy matters and has gained a unique insight into providing strategic and practical advice to clients facing complex privacy and data protection issues.
The European privacy and data protection team in the Brussels office also includes Dr. Christopher Kuner, Senior Privacy Counsel; Laura De Boel, senior associate; Sàra G. Hoffman, associate; and Sarah Cadiot, associate. Christopher was vice chairman of the International Chamber of Commerce's (ICC's) Committee on the Digital Economy for ten years. In addition, Christopher has successfully led several landmark efforts at the EU level, such as negotiating the European Commission's adequacy decisions regarding the standard contractual clauses for controller-to-controller and controller-to-processor data transfers, and drafting a BCRs application checklist approved by the Article 29 Working Party. He also has been involved in privacy and data protection consultations for leading international organizations, including the Council of Europe (CoE) and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Laura has gained experience in the privacy teams of leading law firms and advises clients across a range of sectors on matters of European data protection compliance. Sàra is an expert on encryption standards, cloud architecture, as well as pan-European data protection compliance requirements, and has polyvalent experience advising clients also on antitrust issues. Sarah has worked in the privacy and cybersecurity practices of leading law firms in Brussels and Paris, and at the European Commission (DG CONNECT) in Brussels.
Our Brussels attorneys work closely with the firm's global privacy and data protection team, which includes many highly experienced experts in the United States, including former top officials at the Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Consumer Protection and the Department of Justice's National Security Division.
For further information about our European privacy and data protection practice, please contact Cédric Burton, Partner; Christopher Kuner, Senior Privacy Counsel; Laura De Boel, Of Counsel; Bastiaan Suurmond, associate; or Sarah Cadiot, associate.
Click here to view the speaking engagements of our Privacy and Data Protection practice.