Please Join Us in Boston
In 2018, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into force and, in addition to being one of the strictest privacy laws in the world, introduced a wide-ranging extraterritorial effect. The GDPR severely impacts how companies doing business in Europe collect and use personal information. Please join Jan Dhont, a Partner in WSGR's Brussels office, as he discusses the implications of European privacy laws for US-headquartered life sciences and biotech companies. Jan has been counseling on privacy and cybersecurity matters for more than 20 years and was previously a legal advisor at the Belgian Data Protection Authority.
Topics to be discussed include:
- What triggers the application of the GDPR and which are the main obligations flowing from it.
- How the GDPR impacts the use of data in cross-border research or operations, more in particular how to:
- lawfully collect patient and other information from EU citizens;
- ensure compliance with the EU data export rules;
- accommodate patients' and other individual's rights;
- use anonymization and pseudonymization;
- set up a robust contractual framework for service providers and subcontractors;
- enforcement tendencies and much more.