PATENTS AND INNOVATION
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati's patents and innovation practice helps clients leverage their intellectual property, defend against claims of others, and establish a competitive position for the future in fields such as therapeutics, personalized medicine, research tools, and clean technologies. Our team helps growing companies achieve important milestones by securing, developing, and protecting their most vital IP assets, while also advising established companies responsible for advancing groundbreaking discoveries. We identify the areas in which intellectual property protection is most critical to achieving the company's business objectives, determine the most effective methods of protection, and identify strategies to avoid issues with third-party patents.
The members of our patents and innovation team are experts in all facets of intellectual property counseling, including the following:
- Preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications
- Patent portfolio management
- Interference and reexamination proceedings
- Non-infringement and validity opinions
- Freedom-to-operate and due diligence analyses
- Licensing and regulatory submissions
- Litigation enforcement and defense, including USPTO trial proceedings
- IP due diligence for initial public offerings, PIPE transactions, asset purchase agreements, and venture financings
- FDA-related submissions and strategies such as citizen petitions and Paragraph IV certification
We have an impressive track record of IP value creation, as members of our practice are responsible for the development of the IP portfolios covering such inventions as the DNA chip, cancer therapies, nanotechnology, cell-free genetic tests, medical devices, stem cell technologies, and next-generation DNA sequencing. In 2015, we filed more than 40 U.S. patent applications each week on average, with more than 500 patents granted.
Our patents and innovation team—which is highly integrated with the firm's corporate, litigation, and transactional practices—is comprised of more than 180 experienced patent attorneys, patent agents, and scientific advisors, most of whom possess Ph.D. or other advanced degrees in such areas as biology, chemistry, immunology, biomedical sciences, engineering, or other scientific fields. Over 130 of our attorneys and agents have been admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. In fact, our team includes several former USPTO executives, including a former Administrative Patent Judge, a former Deputy Administrator in the Office of Policy and External Affairs, a former Deputy Commissioner for Patent Operations, and a former Deputy Commissioner for Patent Administration.