MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS
Representing more technology companies in merger and acquisition transactions than any other U.S. law firm, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati consistently is ranked among the top M&A advisors in the United States by such authorities as Bloomberg and Thomson Reuters. Over the past five years, WSGR has advised on more than 600 announced and/or completed M&A transactions, with an aggregate disclosed value of nearly $400 billion.
We provide counsel on the full range of M&A transactions involving domestic and foreign technology, life sciences, and other growth enterprises at all stages of development. In particular, our attorneys have unparalleled experience advising companies on both the buy and sell sides of a wide range of negotiated and contested transactions spanning small "tuck-in" acquisitions, large-scale public company acquisitions, strategic mergers and business combinations, complex cross-border transactions, business and asset acquisitions, and spin-offs and other business dispositions.
Our corporate and M&A lawyers typically serve as the coordinating interface with in-house counsel for a multidisciplinary team of WSGR domain experts, including experts in the fields of corporate governance, securities, intellectual property, tax, employee benefits and compensation, antitrust and other regulatory matters, export controls, anti-corruption compliance, privacy, real estate, and litigation. In addition, we have close working relationships with leading law firms in the many foreign jurisdictions where our clients conduct business.
This cross-disciplinary approach has been highly effective for our clients. For example, no other law firm in the U.S. can match our success in obtaining favorable outcomes before the U.S. federal antitrust agencies in connection with technology-related M&A transactions. To date, we successfully have defended hundreds of Hart-Scott-Rodino-reportable M&A transactions before the U.S. government, and none of our clients has ever abandoned a merger or acquisition or had it blocked as a result of action by the Federal Trade Commission or the Department of Justice.
Our attorneys strive to execute a client's M&A strategy in a customized manner that reflects the client's business profile, strategic objectives, and internal operations and processes, as well as the unique elements of each individual transaction. The combination of our unique breadth of M&A transactional experience and our customized approach has enabled us to become a trusted advisor to numerous companies in connection with their strategic acquisition programs, including Autodesk, Cypress Semiconductor, FireEye, Google, Microchip, Salesforce.com, and other industry leaders.
Recent M&A transactions in which the firm participated include:
- Representation of Apptio in its $1.94 billion acquisition by Vista Equity Partners
- Representation of Pacific Biosciences in its $1.2 billion acquisition by Illumina
- Representation of Electro Scientific Industries in its $1 billion acquisition by MKS Instruments
- Representation of CA Technologies in its $18.9 billion acquisition by Broadcom
- Representation of Acxiom's Marketing Solutions in its $2.3 billion acquisition by Interpublic Group
- Representation of MuleSoft in its $6.5 billion acquisition by Salesforce
- Representation of KLA-Tencor in its $3.4 billion acquisition of Orbotech
- Representation of Lumentum in its $1.8 billion acquisition of Oclaro
- Representation of Microchip Technology in its $8.35 billion acquisition of Microsemi
- Representation of Flatiron Health in its $1.9 billion acquisition by Roche
- Representation of Barracuda Networks in its $1.6 billion acquisition by Thoma Bravo
- Representation of Gigamon in its $1.6 billion acquisition by Elliott Management
Other representative M&A transactions in which the firm participated include:
- Representation of Seagate in its $1.5 billion acquisition of Samsung Electronics' hard-disk-drive operations
- Representation of Electronic Arts in its $650 million acquisition of PopCap Games
- Representation of Total in its $1.4 billion acquisition of SunPower
- Representation of McAfee in its $7.7 billion acquisition by Intel
- Representation of 3PAR in its $2.4 billion acquisition by Hewlett-Packard
- Representation of 3Com in its $3.3 billion acquisition by Hewlett-Packard
- Representation of Sun Microsystems in its $7.8 billion acquisition by Oracle
- Representation of Genentech in its $48 billion acquisition by Roche
- Representation of Google in its $3.1 billion acquisition of DoubleClick