Energy Innovation & Clean Technology
IP Counseling & Patents
Matt Bresnahan is a senior associate in the San Diego and Los Angeles offices of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where he focuses his practice on all aspects of intellectual property, including strategic patent counseling, patent and trademark prosecution, licensing, and litigation. Most of Matt's clients are in the life sciences, biotechnology, molecular biology, pharmaceutical, medical device, cosmetics, and clean technology fields.
In his transactional practice, Matt provides comprehensive counseling to clients on intellectual property and related business matters. He prosecutes patent and trademark applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), including management of the national and international patent and trademark prosecution dockets for numerous life sciences and technology companies. Matt has analyzed intellectual property portfolios and performed IP due diligence for both venture capital firms and businesses in a variety of investment environments, including financings, mergers and acquisitions, and initial public offerings (IPOs). He writes opinion letters of counsel, negotiates and drafts transactional documents, performs IP audits, and formulates and implements IP strategies for both established and emerging companies.
Matt also litigates patent, trademark, trade-secret theft, and trade-dress disputes in a diverse range of technical areas, including pharmaceuticals with a particular emphasis on Hatch-Waxman patent-related proceedings and medical device and molecular biology-related technologies. He recently completed a three-week patent trial in federal court concerning a migraine treatment that was settled favorably for his client prior to verdict. Matt has also litigated many significant intellectual property cases in the U.S. District Courts for the Southern District of California, the Central District of California, Delaware, New Jersey, the Southern District of New York, the Western District of Pennsylvania, and the Northern District of West Virginia, in addition to California state courts. He is also lead counsel in adversarial proceedings at the USPTO. Additionally, he has represented clients with respect to investigations by the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission regarding potential governmental action where technology or intellectual property issues are in dispute.
Matt is an adjunct professor of law at the University of San Diego School of Law, where he is currently teaching patent law.
Prior to joining the firm, Matt was an extern for the Honorable Rudi M. Brewster in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California. Matt assisted Judge Brewster with resolving several high-profile patent trials and other intellectual property proceedings, including patent, copyright, and trademark actions.EDUCATION:
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law
- B.S., Biochemistry, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- Named to the 2015 San Diego "Rising Stars" list published by Super Lawyers magazine
- Featured in a cover article titled "Students for Startups" in the University of San Diego School of Law alumni magazine (The Advocate, Winter 2012)
- Named a San Diego Daily Transcript Young Attorney in 2009
- Honored with the Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services by the State Bar of California, 2009
- Speaker, "IP Considerations in Business Transactions," University of San Diego, July 16, 2014
- Speaker, "Implications of Myriad and Mayo Supreme Court decisions in personalized medicine and diagnostics," University of California, San Diego, June 11, 2014
- Speaker, "Patent Considerations for FDA Biosimilar Applicants," PatCon 4: The Annual Patent Conference, San Diego, California, April 4, 2014
- Adjunct Professor, Patent Law, University of San Diego School of Law, 2013-present
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office