KRISTIN J. HAVRANEK
Kristin Havranek is an associate at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where she focuses on patent prosecution and technology counseling, with an emphasis on the medical device industry. She regularly works with clients to develop their intellectual property portfolios, as well as to conduct patentability, freedom-to-operate, and patent validity analyses. She also regularly prepares and prosecutes patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Kristin has worked extensively in the medical device sector, including in the areas of stents, catheter systems, medical imaging, ophthalmic devices, orthopedics, diagnostics, drug delivery devices and systems, surgical devices, and orthodontics, as well as other mechanical and electromechanical systems and equipment in and outside the medical device field.
In addition to protecting intellectual property rights, Kristin has experience with investor due diligence and financing, and has advised multiple start-up clients in connection with various rounds of financing. She also has advised clients on various aspects of licensing intellectual property.
Kristin joined the firm with nearly a decade of experience as an engineer in the medical device industry. Prior to attending law school, she was a senior engineer for Guidant Corporation in their stent cardiovascular and peripheral vascular divisions, developing combination drug-device products and self-expanding stent platforms. Before joining Guidant, Kristin was a product and process validation engineer for McGhan Medical (now INAMED Aesthetics) and worked for Genzyme Biotherapeutics as a quality analyst.EDUCATION:
- J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law
Articles Editor, University of San Francisco Law Review; Member, McAuliffe Honor Society; Moot Court Case Counsel
- B.S.E., Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania
Member, Dean's List
- Member, American Bar Association
- Panel Moderator, "Current and Emerging Trends in Board Leadership: Board Room 101," MedtechWOMEN, Center Club, Costa Mesa, California, November 11, 2015
- Panel Moderator, "Innovation Showcase: Patient Safety and Satisfaction," AdvaMed 2015, San Diego, California, October 6, 2015
- Panelist, "Spotlight on Drug Delivery," Ophthalmology Innovation Summit, San Diego, California, April 16, 2015
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office