MARK R. FITZGERALD
Mark Fitzgerald is a corporate and securities partner in the Boston office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati. He joined the firm in 2000 to help open its first East Coast office in the Mid-Atlantic region. In early 2016, he returned to Massachusetts as a founding partner of the firm's Boston office and New England corporate practice.
Mark's practice focuses on the representation of public and private growth companies in the life sciences, technology, and national defense sectors at every stage of their development. He has counseled clients on a wide variety of matters, including private placements and public offerings of equity, debt, and convertible securities; mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures; angel, bridge, and seed financings; venture capital and private equity transactions; joint ventures and strategic alliances; corporate governance and fiduciary duties; regulatory compliance; complex cross-border transactions; and other general corporate and securities law issues. He is a frequent speaker and lecturer on corporate and securities topics, including company formation and founders issues; angel and venture financing terms; entrepreneurship; initial public offerings; and updates to securities laws and regulations. Mark also advises clients on government funding, contracting, and subcontracting matters, including government grants, compliance with federal acquisition regulations, security clearance matters, and the mitigation of foreign ownership, control, or influence issues for clients with classified contracts.
From 1987 to 1992, Mark served as an officer in the U.S. Air Force, stationed at the Electronic Systems Center at Hanscom Air Force Base in Massachusetts, where he conducted antenna and semiconductor research as an electrical engineer and later managed information technology defense contracts. From 1992 to 2017, Mark continued to serve in the U.S. Air Force Reserve in a variety of assignments, including government contracts matters, while serving as a member of the Judge Advocate General (JAG) Corps. Mark retired from the U.S. Air Force Reserve as a colonel.EDUCATION:
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 1996
- M.B.A., Finance and Accounting, University of Chicago Booth School of Business, 1996
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, 1987
- Named among the District of Columbia's top corporate/M&A attorneys in the 2012-2018 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Selected for inclusion in the 2008 "Smart Lawyers" list of "go-to legal minds in Greater Washington" and 2009 "Legal Elite" list for corporate securities and finance law by SmartCEO Magazine, November 2008 and December 2009, respectively
- Recipient, Reginald C. Harmon Award for Outstanding Air Force Reserve Judge Advocate of the Year, 2003
- State Bar of Massachusetts
- State Bar of Connecticut
- Bar of the District of Columbia
- Virginia State Bar
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office