SHELBY PASARELL TSAI
Shelby Tsai is Of Counsel in the San Francisco office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where her practice focuses on intellectual property and business litigation. Shelby has extensive and broad experience representing companies in high-stakes litigation, including matters related to intellectual property and commercial litigation, securities class actions, corporate governance, and class action and employment law defense. She works with companies to devise novel legal strategies and aggressively pursue their objectives in court, arbitration, or mediation. Shelby also routinely advises companies, partnerships, and individuals on issues related to intellectual property and corporate governance.
Shelby is experienced in all aspects of litigation, from settling disputes prior to any formal dispute resolution or civil action to taking matters to trial and through appeal. Her cases frequently present challenging legal questions that require careful strategic planning. Shelby also has a record of authoring successful briefs at the trial and appellate levels. She often is engaged to prepare or advise on appellate and high-stakes trial court briefs.
Shelby has a long record of pro bono advocacy and has received several recognitions for her work on behalf of children in the foster care system.
Prior to rejoining the firm in 2015, Shelby was an associate in the San Francisco office of Grube Brown & Geidt and in the Miami office of Hogan & Hartson. Earlier in her career, she served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Juan Torruella for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.SELECT REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS:
- Successfully represented a major broadcast television network in a copyright infringement action and obtained a nationwide permanent federal injunction barring a satellite provider from unlawfully distributing network programming under the Satellite Home Viewer Act of 1998
- Advised a limited partnership in a long-running antitrust suit against a major multinational food company, including working closely to craft an appellate strategy
- Represented the Florida Guardian ad Litem Program in an international dependency case involving parental custody rights of a minor child from Cuba, including as trial counsel during a two-week nationally televised trial
- Obtained an early dismissal of a nationwide class action alleging violations of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act and related state law claims on behalf of a marketing technology and services company
- Obtained an early dismissal of the first civil action by the SEC to enforce Regulation FD
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 2001
- B.A., Human Biology and History, Stanford University, 1997
With Distinction and Honors, Phi Beta Kappa
- Member, Board of Directors, Foundation for Reed Schools
- Recipient, Most Valuable Protector (MVP) for 2008, Voices for Children Foundation, Inc.
- Presenter, Prosecuting and Defending Corporate Raiding, Customer Trade Secret & Employee Mobility Cases, Bridgeport Continuing Education, San Francisco, May 15, 2015
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit