KATHARINE A. MARTIN
Partner, Chair of the Board
Katharine (Katie) Martin is chair of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati's board of directors and a partner in the firm's Palo Alto office, where she practices corporate and securities law. Katie previously served as a member of the Policy Committee and as the leader of its business law department.
Katie has extensive experience in representing public companies. Her practice includes all aspects of company representation, including corporate governance, SEC compliance, 1934 Act issues, public offerings, private placements, and mergers and acquisitions. She also has represented underwriters in public offerings and issuers and investors in private equity financings.
Katie joined Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati in 1999, after 12 years at Pillsbury Madison & Sutro LLP, where she was a partner. She is a frequent speaker on corporate and securities law, corporate governance, and mergers and acquisition topics, presenting at such venues as PLI, Corporate Board Member, and the SEC Institute.EDUCATION:
- J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 1987
Order of the Coif; Great Distinction; Staff Writer and Assistant Editor, Pacific Law Review (1986-1987); Author, "Disbrow Confronts Proposition 8: Will Miranda Violative Statements Be Admitted to Trial for Impeachment?"
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1984
- Member, Board of Directors, YMCA of Silicon Valley
- Former Director, Nuance Communications, Inc.
- Director, WildAid, an international nonprofit wildlife-preservation agency
- Director, WSGR Foundation, a nonprofit organization
- Former Director, The Ronald McDonald House at Stanford, a nonprofit organization
- Recognized among the Daily Journal's "Top Women Lawyers" in California for 2017, 2018, and 2019
- Named to The Recorder's list of "Women Leaders in Tech Law" in 2015, 2016, and 2017
- Named among the San Francisco Business Times' "Most Influential Women in Bay Area Business" list in 2014 and 2018
- Selected as a 2014 "Capital Markets MVP" by Law360
- Honored by the Silicon Valley Business Journal as a 2014 "Woman of Influence"
- Recognized as a 2014 "Woman Leader in the Law" by The American Lawyer
- Recognized by the Daily Journal as one of the "Top 100 Lawyers in California" for 2011
- Named among Lawdragon's "500 Leading Lawyers in America" for 2011-2019
- Honored among Law360's "Top Female Deal Makers" for 2011
- Selected as The Am Law Daily's "Dealmaker of the Week" in May 2011
- Named in Northern California Super Lawyers in 2007-2018
- Selected for inclusion in the 2007-2018 editions of Best Lawyers in America
- Named in the 2007, 2008, and 2012-2019 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Named to Lawdragon's "500 Leading Dealmakers" list in 2007
- Honored with a 2007 California Lawyer Attorney of the Year (CLAY) Award for Achievement
- Selected for inclusion in the 2007 edition of The Legal 500 US
- Named by the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal as a 2006 Silicon Valley Woman of Distinction Honoree
- Named to Lawdragon's "500 New Stars, New Worlds" list in 2006
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Co-author with A. Simmerman, "Controlling-Stockholder Conflicts and How to Handle Them," PLI Current: The Journal of PLI Press, Vol. 2, No. 4, Autumn 2018
- State Bar of California