CHERYL W. FOUNG
Cheryl W. Foung is Of Counsel at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati. Her practice focuses on securities and appellate litigation, representing companies, their officers, and directors in shareholder class actions and shareholder derivative litigation.
Since she has been at the firm, Cheryl has specialized in class action and shareholder derivative appellate litigation, successfully prosecuting or defending appeals in LifeLock, Inc., Sterling Financial Corp., In re Netflix Inc., Copeland v. Lane, In re Jones Soda, Kelley v. Rambus, Inc., In re VISX, In re Read-Rite, Israni v. International Game Technology, Arduini v. International Game Technology, In re Harmonic Inc. (all Ninth Circuit); Globus Medical, Inc. (Third Circuit); In re Acxiom (Eighth Circuit); In re Banc of America (Eleventh Circuit); Mercury Interactive v. Kenneth Klein, et al., The Recorder (California Court of Appeals); and In re Guidant (Indiana Supreme Court).
Before joining the firm, Cheryl served as special assistant to the City Attorney for the City and County of San Francisco from 1992 to 1998. She represented San Francisco as both plaintiff and defendant in some of its largest litigation matters. Her work in the trial and construction departments led to the successful termination of lawsuits resulting from the Seacliff "sinkhole" disaster and the Quackenbush 911 case, among many others.
Prior to her work for the City Attorney's office, Cheryl was a partner at Sideman & Bancroft in San Francisco. From 1984 to 1992, she represented individuals, companies, limited partnerships, and law firms in areas such as securities disputes, real estate and tax matters, and general commercial disputes. She was an associate at Thelen, Marrin, Johnson & Bridges from 1982 to 1984, and served as law clerk to the Honorable Robert M. Hill in the Northern District of Texas upon graduation from law school, from 1981 to 1982.SELECT CLIENTS:
Securities Litigation Appeals:
- Acxiom Corporation
- Atossa Genetics, Inc.
- Autodesk, Inc.
- Banc of America Securities, LLC
- C-Cube Microsystems, Inc.
- Chelsea Therapeutics International, Ltd.
- Electronics for Imaging, Inc.
- Globus Medical, Inc.
- Guidant Corporation
- Jones Soda Company
- Juniper Networks, Inc.
- LifeLock, Inc.
- Limelight Networks, Inc.
- Netflix, Inc.
- Rambus, Inc.
- Read-Rite Corporation
- Splash Technology Holdings, Inc.
- Sterling Financial Corporation
- Tibco Software, Inc.
- VISX Incorporated (now part of Advanced Medical Optics)
- White Electronics Designs Corporation
Shareholder Derivative Appeals:
- Google Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- International Game Technology, Arduini, Israni
Petitions for Review/Writs:
- Cyan, Inc.
- Electronics for Imaging, Inc. (amicus)
- Google Inc.
- Kenneth Klein
- Network Associates, Inc. (McAfee)
- TriReme Medical, LLC
Additional Select Clients:
- Engineering Animation, Inc.
- IntraBiotics Pharmaceuticals
- Nektar Therapeutics
- NetApp, Inc.
- OmniVision Technologies
- Pixar Inc.
- Polycom Inc.
- Solectron Corporation
- Stryker Corporation
- Taleo Corporation
- Tripos Inc.
- TriQuint Semiconductor Inc.
- UTStarcom Holdings Corp.
- Xinhua Finance Media Ltd.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1981
Senior Colloquium Editor, NYU School of Law Review of Law & Social Change
- B.A., Psychology, Brown University, 1978
Phi Beta Kappa, Magna Cum Laude
- Co-author, "Securities class action landscape," International Journal of Disclosure and Governance, Vol. 2, No. 2, 2005
- Co-author, "The Tax Practitioner's Guide to Selecting a Judicial Forum," Tax Ideas (1990) and Practical Tax Lawyer, Summer 1991
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of New York