Steven Guggenheim is a partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati in Palo Alto, where he specializes in defending corporations and their directors and officers in shareholder lawsuits, including mergers and acquisition litigation, securities class actions, and derivative litigation. Steven has over 25 years' experience in mediation, arbitration, and all phases of litigation, and has represented clients in bench trials, jury trials, and on appeal.
Over the past three years alone, Steven has represented more than 20 clients in suits arising out of change-of-control transactions, including AFCV Holdings, LLC in its acquisition of Answers Corporation; Cypress Semiconductor in its acquisition of Ramtron International Corporation; Advanced Analogic Technologies in its sale to Skyworks Solutions; InfoGROUP in its sale to CCMP Capital Advisors; Polycom, Inc. in the sale of a business unit to an affiliate of Sun Capital Partners; and The Gymboree Corporation in connection with a tender offer commenced by Bain Capital. Steven has appeared regularly in the Delaware Court of Chancery on corporate governance litigation and actively counsels clients on fiduciary duty issues.
Prior to joining the firm in 1998, Steven practiced law in New York City, where he represented corporate clients in commercial business disputes and was part of a team defending a then-"Big Eight" accounting firm in securities class actions brought nationwide.EDUCATION:
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1987
- A.B., Political Philosophy, University of Michigan, 1984
High Honors, High Distinction, Phi Beta Kappa
- Presenter, "D&O Litigation: 2013 in Review and Beyond," Wells Fargo Insurance webinar, February 4, 2014 (Recording ID: G79D7P, no Recording Key required)
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit