MICHAEL S. RUSSELL
Mergers & Acquisitions
Corporate Law & Governance
Michael Russell is a partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where he practices corporate and securities law. Michael regularly advises companies on a broad range of corporate and securities matters, including corporate governance responsibilities, SEC disclosure obligations, and stock market listing and compliance requirements. He also has extensive transactional experience, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, public equity and debt offerings, tender and exchange offers, corporate restructurings, and venture capital financings.
Michael joined the corporate and securities practice at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati in 1998. Prior to joining the firm, Michael worked as a deputy city attorney in the San Francisco City Attorney's Office.
Michael currently serves on the firm's Hiring Committee and is one of the firm's hiring partners. He also serves as an Affiliate Attorney for the University of Michigan Law School's Entrepreneurial Clinic.SELECT CLIENTS:
- Informatica Corporation
- Japan Communications, Inc.
- Leaf Clean Energy Company
- Micron Technology, Inc.
- TiVo Inc.
- Twitter, Inc.
- Woodward, Inc.
- Applied Materials in its $1.75 billion senior notes offering to fund its acquisition of Varian Semiconductor Equipment Associates
- CDK in its acquisition of AVRS
- Francisco Partners in its $420 million acquisition of Metrologic Instruments
- The Go Daddy Group in its $2.25 billion acquisition by K.K.R., Silver Lake, and Technology Crossover Ventures
- Hawaiian Airlines in its $445 million EETC financing
- HealthDataInsights in its $400 million acquisition by HMS Holdings
- Los Gatos Research in its sale to ABB
- Informatica in its acquisition of StrikeIron
- Marlin Equity Partners in its $160 million acquisition of three business units from Compuware
- Marlin Equity Partners in the sale of its portfolio company Emptoris to IBM
- Mentor Corporation in the $463 million sale of its Surgical Urology and Clinical and Consumer Healthcare business segments to Coloplast
- Micron Technology in its $2.5 billion acquisition of Elpida Memory, Inc. out of bankruptcy
- Micron Technology in a $600 million convertible note offering
- Micron Technology in the $40 million sale of its wafer manufacturing facility in Japan to Tower Semiconductor Ltd.
- Micron Technology in the sale of its wafer manufacturing facility in Israel to Intel
- Micron Technology in its $1.3 billion acquisition of Numonyx from Intel Corporation, ST Microelectronics B.V. and Francisco Partners
- Micron Technology in its $400 million acquisition of shares of Inotera Memories, a Taiwanese joint venture, from Qimonda AG
- The Nasdaq Stock Market in its acquisition of PrimeZone Media
- Strategic Data Corporation in its acquisition by Fox Interactive Media
- TiVo in its $135 million acquisition of Digitalsmiths Corporation
- TiVo in its $19 million acquisition of TRA Global
- TiVo in its acquisition of the ZincTV business from ZeeVee
- Twitter in its acquisition of Afterlive.TV
- Twitter in its acquisition of Apps & Zerts
- Twitter in its acquisition of Bounty Labs (Periscope)
- Twitter in its acquisition of Cardspring
- Twitter in its acquisition of Gnip
- Twitter in its acquisition of Madbits
- Twitter in its acquisition of Namo Media
- Twitter in its acquisition of The Niche Project
- Twitter in its acquisition of TellApart
- Twitter in its Acquisition of Whetlab
- World Wide Packets in its $285 million acquisition by Ciena Corporation
- Woodward in its pending joint venture with General Electric for fuel systems for large commercial aircraft jet engines
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1993
- B.A., Political Science, University of Michigan, 1990
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California