MARINA C. TSATALIS
Marina Tsatalis is a partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, specializing in employment law with an emphasis on litigation matters. She has significant experience in litigating cases and counseling clients in a wide variety of issues, including employment discrimination, retaliation, harassment, unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets, wrongful termination, contract disputes, privacy, and fraud.
Marina has extensive experience serving as lead trial counsel, and has successfully litigated a broad spectrum of cases in state and federal courts and in arbitrations throughout the country. She also has argued cases before the California Court of Appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. In 2001, Marina was successful in obtaining a unanimous published decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit recognizing, for the first time, an affirmative defense to employer liability for harassment by a supervisor under California law, Kohler v. Inter-Tel Technologies. In 2003, Marina was successful in obtaining a defense verdict for PMC-Sierra in a national origin discrimination case filed under the Immigration Reform and Control Act. That same year, she successfully defended Sanmina-SCI in a binding, three-member panel arbitration against a multimillion-dollar suit brought by a former executive arising from an alleged breach of his employment agreement. In addition to her successful defense in this case, Marina won a million-dollar cross-claim. Marina also has extensive experience as lead counsel in complex cases involving multiple defendants, including defending Juniper Networks and 11 other defendants in an expansive lawsuit alleging securities, trade secret, fraud, and contract claims arising out of Juniper's acquisition of the plaintiffs' business.
In addition to other professional development activities, Marina completed the National Institute for Trial Advocacy's Advanced Trial Program in March 2000.
Marina is a member of the firm's Hiring Committee and Associate Career Development Committee.SELECT CLIENTS:
- Harmonic Inc.
- Juniper Networks
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1992
- B.A., English and History, Villanova University, 1989
Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Ranked First in Both Majors
- Member, Labor and Employment Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Labor and Employment Law Section, California Bar Association
- Member, Hellenic Lawyers' Association
- Named a "rising star" in California in the 2005 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Marina has published a variety of articles on employment law for:
- American Bar Association
- American Law Institute
- National Employment Law Institute
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Marina has lectured at Villanova University on gender discrimination issues and was invited to speak at the American Bar Association's annual meeting in August 2005 on ethical issues in representing multiple defendants.
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of New Jersey
- State Bar of New York
- State Bar of Pennsylvania