MATTHEW R. REED
Matt Reed is a partner in the Palo Alto office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where he practices in the areas of technology-focused international and domestic arbitration and intellectual property litigation, including patent litigation in U.S. district courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission, and trade secret disputes in state and federal court. With a background in chemical engineering, Matt has successfully litigated numerous cases in a variety of areas, ranging from generic pharmaceuticals to medical devices to semiconductor processing and packaging. Recently, he has been involved in a series of arbitrations regarding telecommunication technologies, obtaining awards that resulted in payments of more than $100 million to his clients.
Matt is a recipient of the Wiley W. Manuel Certificate for Pro Bono Legal Services, awarded by the State Car of California's Board of Trustees for his commitment to providing pro bono legal services to those most in need in our community.
Prior to entering private practice, Matt served as law clerk to the Honorable Spencer Williams of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. In addition to English, Matt is fluent in Spanish.SELECT CLIENTS:
- Amkor Technology
- Abbott Medical Optics, Inc.
- Broadcom Corporation
- Cutera, Inc. (formerly Altus Medical, Inc.)
- InterWAVE Communications Int'l
- Micron Technology
- SanDisk Corporation
- Sasken Communication Technologies
- Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation
- United Microelectronics Corporation
- VIA Technologies
- Zscaler, Inc.
- J.D., Columbia University Law School, 1997
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; Book Review Editor, Columbia Journal of Transnational Law; President, J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Brigham Young University, 1994
Magna Cum Laude, Minor in Spanish
- Recognized in the 2017 and 2018 editions of Northern California Super Lawyers
- Co-author with R. Strickland and T. Weibell, "U.S." chapter, Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Sixth Edition, Global Legal Insights, 2017
- "Recent $455 Million Payment Reaffirms Certainty of International Arbitral Awards," WSGR Alert, July 14, 2017
- Co-author with R. Strickland and T. Weibell, "U.S." chapter, Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Fifth Edition, Global Legal Insights, 2016
- Co-author with R. Strickland and T. Weibell, "U.S." chapter, Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Fourth Edition, Global Legal Insights, 2015
- State Bar of California
- California Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office