TERRY T. JOHNSON
In 2013, Terry Johnson retired as a partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where he focused on securities litigation and commercial litigation.
During the course of his career, Terry handled a variety of securities and commercial cases, including securities class actions, shareholder derivative actions, proxy litigation, merger and takeover litigation, SEC investigations, breach of contract cases, business fraud and other business tort cases, consumer class actions, arbitrations, and appeals. He was counsel in over 50 major securities class action cases and has won court decisions giving his clients complete victories in a number of securities cases, including class actions, merger cases, proxy cases, and derivative lawsuits.
Terry's securities cases resulted in more than 30 published court opinions. He also handled a number of major commercial lawsuits and is experienced in providing securities and disclosure counseling. Prior to joining Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, Terry practiced business litigation with Holland & Hart in Denver, Colorado.SELECT CASES:
- Cypress Semiconductor Securities Litigation
Won summary judgment for the company and its officers at the conclusion of discovery. Affirmed on appeal by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Entrust Securities Litigation
Won two motions to dismiss, resulting in dismissal of the case with prejudice.
- Redback Networks Securities Litigation
Won dismissal with prejudice. Affirmed on appeal by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Centex Telemanagement Securities Litigation
Won summary judgment for the company and its officers on a full factual record.
- Please see wsgr.com for a complete list of cases.
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, 1981
Associate Editor, California Law Review
- A.B., History, Stanford University, 1978
Phi Beta Kappa; With Distinction
- Member, Santa Clara County Bar Association
- Member Emeritus, Board of Directors, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Greater Bay Area Chapter
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Stanford University Buck/Cardinal Club
- Included on San Jose Magazine's list of "Silicon Valley's Top Attorneys"
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- "Representing a Company that Restates its Financials: A Practitioner's Checklist," Financial Fraud in Public Companies: Prevention, Detection & Litigation, Practising Law Institute, 1999
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit