JEFFREY A. LEHTMAN
Regulatory and Compliance
Jeff Lehtman is a partner in the Washington, D.C., office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where he specializes in assisting clients with internal and government investigations, regulatory compliance and complex cross-border litigation. Jeff has particular experience in counseling clients with regard to civil, criminal, and regulatory issues arising in their international operations, ranging from compliance strategies to mitigate potential risk to internal and government investigations arising from their operations.
Jeff frequently conducts internal investigations on behalf of audit committees and special committees concerning potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), anti-money laundering regulations, and economic sanctions laws as well as allegations relating to potential accounting and disclosure irregularities and instances of potential insider trading.
Jeff represents multinational companies, financial institutions, international development banks, and their officers and directors in connection with investigations before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and numerous other domestic and foreign regulatory and government bodies.
While he has broad experience in the international arena advising clients facing parallel investigations by both U.S. and foreign authorities around the world, Jeff has been widely recognized for his work across Latin America representing leading companies in connection with international compliance matters and internal and government investigations.
Prior to joining the firm, Jeff was a partner and co-chair of the litigation department at a leading white collar boutique. In addition, Jeff was senior regional counsel at Citibank, overseeing regulatory, litigation, and corporate matters involving Latin America. He also served as a trial attorney in the Office of International Affairs within the DOJ's Criminal Division. Jeff began his career as an associate at WilmerHale in Washington, D.C., and also has been a partner with another leading international law firm.
Jeff is fluent in Spanish.SELECT REPRESENTATIONS:
- Multinational financial institution in connection with a cross-border internal investigation relating to issues in Brazil that ranged from potential embezzlement to issues arising under U.S. and local anti-corruption legislation.
- Prominent international law firm in connection with allegations by one of its clients that a partner in a foreign office had engaged in conduct that violated the FCPA.
- Head equities trader of a multinational investment bank in connection with investigation by foreign regulator that the bank's trading had violated local securities laws as well as follow-on U.S. investigations by FINRA and the SEC.
- Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) to enforce loan guarantees extended by the Argentine affiliates of a Brazilian-based borrower. Obtained a favorable outcome on summary judgment for more than US$168 million.
- Latin American sports marketing and production company in connection with DOJ and local investigations pertaining to allegations of bribery, fraud, and money laundering arising out of the FIFA scandal.
- Global financial services firm in an internal investigation into improper trading by a foreign exchange specialist on its Latin American trading desk.
- Former senior officer of the Latin American region of a global financial group in connection with a DOJ investigation into allegations that the global financial group had operated as a multi-jurisdictional Ponzi scheme.
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 2000
- B.A., Vanderbilt University, 1997
Summa Cum Laude
- Named a 2018 White Collar Crime Trailblazer by The National Law Journal
- Named to Latinvex's Latin America's Top 100 Lawyers List in 2018 and 2019
- Recognized as a Leading Lawyer in the corporate crime and investigations category by Chambers Latin America in 2017 and 2019
- Selected by Benchmark Litigation in 2017 and 2018 as a National Star for white collar crime and securities litigation
- Recognized in the 2013 edition of Latin Lawyer, which described Jeff as, "without question, one of a very short list of true Latin American anti-corruption specialists…peers recommend him for his thorough understanding of the anti-corruption compliance issues businesses face in Latin America and for his 'deep relationships in the Latin American business community."
- Named in the 2012 and 2015-2018 editions of The Legal 500 United States in the areas of corporate investigations and white collar criminal defense. Clients surveyed commented that Jeff "performs his work with great skill and confidence, and analyzes problems and tackles sensitive situations creatively and knowledgeably."
- Bar of the District of Columbia