Yitai Hu is a litigation partner in the Palo Alto office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where he is a member of the patent litigation practice and particularly focuses on representing China-based companies. He represents clients in a wide range of legal practices, including intellectual property litigation and counseling, white collar criminal defense in Economic Espionage Act related cases, commercial litigation and arbitration, and mergers and acquisitions.
Yitai has served as lead counsel in more than 50 cases before U.S. district courts and state courts concerning patent, trade secret, and licensing disputes. He has handled more than 20 cases—15 as lead counsel—and he also has extensive experience with Section 337 investigations before the U.S. International Trade Commission. Yitai has represented clients in litigation concerning computer software, semiconductor technologies, non-volatile memories, liquid crystal displays, LCD TVs and displays, light emitting diodes, LED lighting technologies, computer monitors, projectors, optical navigation technologies, computer network products, wireless network communications products, integrated circuit (IC) packaging, microprocessor technologies, and circuit designs. Since embarking on his legal career, Yitai has obtained more than $100 million in patent licensing fees for his clients.
In addition, Yitai has been involved in patent cases in court and in administrative proceedings that occur outside of the U.S. He has helped clients with intellectual property theft and misappropriation matters, including identifying the source of pirated trademarked and copyrighted products abroad, securing search warrants to seize pirated products, and pursuing those responsible through available criminal and civil proceedings. Yitai also has arbitrated cases, both in the U.S. and overseas, involving licensing, contract, technology transfer, and commercial disputes. Further, he has also been involved in merger and acquisition transactions involving technology companies from Asia and the U.S., and he has negotiated a number of complex international patent and technology license agreements.
Yitai frequently speaks on matters related to international patent laws at conferences and panels, both in the U.S. and internationally. He has also been interviewed often by a number of publications in the U.S. and China regarding IP and international transactions issues, and he has spoken on topics related to U.S. IP protection in China.SELECT DISTRICT COURT MATTERS:
- U.S.A. v. Jiaqiang Xu.; Southern District of New York (7:15-mj-04388) Representing defendant Jiaqiang Xu.
- U.S.A. v. Sinovel Wind Group Co., Ltd., et al.; Western District of Wisconsin (3:13-cr-00084-bbc) Representing defendant Sinovel Wind Group Co., Ltd.
- U.S.A. v. Hao Zhang, et al.; Northern District of California (5:15-cv-00106-BJD-2) Representing defendant Hao Zhang.
- Cree, Inc. v. Unity Opto, et al.; Western District of Wisconsin (3:15-cv-00022) Representing defendant Unity Opto Technology Co., Ltd. and Feit Electric Company.
- Frequency Systems LLC v. ZyXEL Communications Corporation and ZyXEL Communications, Inc., Eastern District of Texas (2:15-cv-706) Represented defendants ZyXEL Communications Corporation and ZyXEL Communications, Inc.
- IOdapt, LLC v. ZyXEL Communications, Inc., Eastern District of Texas (2:15-cv-345) Represented defendant ZyXEL Communications, Inc.
- Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. v. Mediatek USA Inc. et al., Northern District of California (5:14-cv-02185-BLF) Represented AmTRAN Technology Co. Ltd. and AmTRAN Logistics, Inc.
- CpuMate et al. v. Cooler Master Co., Ltd., et al.; Eastern District of Texas; (2:14-cv-00207-JRG); Represented Cooler Master Co., Ltd.
- TQ Delta LLC v. ZyXEL Communications, Inc. et al., District of Delaware (1:13-cv-02013-RGA); Representing defendant ZyXEL Communications, Inc.
- Innovative Wireless Solutions, LLC v. ZyXEL Communications, Inc., Central District of California (8:13-cv-01812-CJC (ANx)); Represented defendant ZyXEL Communications, Inc.
- Asetek Holdings, Inc. and Asetek A/S v. Cooler Master Co., Ltd., and Cooler Master USA, Inc., Northern District of California (3:13-cv-00457-JSC); Represented defendants Cooler Master Co., Ltd, and Cooler Master USA, Inc.
- Penovia LLC v. ZyXEL Communications Inc.; Eastern District of Texas (2:13-cv-00781-JRG); Represented defendant ZyXEL Communications, Inc.
- Gordium Innovations, LLC v. ZyXEL Communications, Inc., Central District of California (8:12-cv-02014-DOC-JPR); Represented defendant ZyXEL Communications, Inc.
- Please see wsgr.com for a complete list of matters.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-947 - Certain Light-Emitting Diode Products And Components Thereof; Representing Unity Opto Technology, Co., Ltd. and Feit Electric Company.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-924 - Certain Light Reflectors And Components, Packaging And Related Advertising Thereof; Represented Sinowell (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-920 - Certain Tires and Products Containing Same; Represented AmTRAN Technology Co. Ltd. and AmTRAN Logistics, Inc.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-894 - Certain Tires and Products Containing Same; Represented Shandong Yongtai Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-892 - Certain Point-to-Point network Communications Devices and Products Containing The Same; Represented AmTRAN Technology Co. Ltd.
- Inv. No. 3327-TA-884 - Certain Consumer Electronics with Display and Processing Capabilities; Represented AmTran Logistics, Inc.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-855 - Certain Sintered Rare Earth Magnets, Methods Of Making Same And Products Containing Same; Represented Yantai Zhenghai Magnetic Material Co., Ltd., Anhui Earth-Panda Advance Magnetic Material Co., Ltd. and Ningbo Jinji Strong Magnet Material Co., Ltd.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-714 - Certain Electronic Devices With Multi-Touch Enabled Touchpads and Touchscreens; Represented complainant Elan Microelectronics Corp.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-711 - Inkjet Ink Cartridges with Printheads and Components Thereof; Represented respondent Microjet Technology Co., Ltd.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-698 - Certain DC-DC Controllers, and Products Containing Same; Represented complainant Richtek Technology Corp.
- Inv. No. 337-TA-691 - Inkjet Ink Supplies and Components Thereof; Represented Zhuhai Gree Magneto-Electric Co., Ltd.
- Please see wsgr.com for a complete list of matters.
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law, 1994
- B.A., Physics, University of Kansas, 1991
- Member, Board of Visitors, University of Maryland School of Law
- Recognized as a U.S. intellectual property regional expert in the 2011-2015 editions of Chambers' Global
- Named among the "Top 75 Leading IP Litigators in California" by the Daily Journal in 2011
- Named among the "Top 50 Under 45" by IP Law & Business in 2008
- Bar of the District of Columbia
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Maryland
- Various District Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office