Privacy and Data Protection
Laura Brodahl is an associate in the Brussels office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where her practice focuses on privacy and data protection law.
Laura is skilled in all aspects of data protection and privacy law. She regularly advises local and international private and public entities to find the privacy solutions most tailored to their needs. Some of her latest projects include:
- Negotiation, drafting, and reviewing of all types of contracts relating to data processing;
- Design and coordination of (group-wide) GDPR implementation programs;
- Data protection due diligence for M&A transactions;
- Tailored advice with respect to e-Privacy and direct marketing, employee monitoring and screening, data subject requests, consent forms, DPO appointment, and incident response procedures;
- Negotiation, advice, and representation in the context of data protection inquiries from employees and business partners and enforcement actions by (data protection) authorities;
- Litigation on breach of privacy and data protection legislation; and
- Presentations, on-site trainings, and workshops on privacy and data protection.
Laura prides herself on a true passion for her practice area. She has considerable experience in advising client on the legal and technical aspects of new technologies, such as education technology, biometrics, fintech, HR analytics, VPNs, and gaming applications.
Prior to joining the firm, Laura worked on privacy and data protection matters as an associate at Law Square and as a trainee with Crowell & Moring and time.lex.
In addition to Dutch, Laura is fluent in English and French, and she is familiar with German and Mandarin.EDUCATION:
- LL.M., Data Protection—ICT and IP Law, Free University of Brussels, 2016
- Master in Law, University of Leuven, 2014
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Member, European Law Students Association Alumni
- Member, Studiecentrum voor automatische gegevensverwerking (SAI)
- Co-author, "Belgium: GDPR Implementing Act Enters into Force," Privacy Laws & Business, February 2019
- "How Profiling Can Be GDPR Compliant and Lead to Value Creation for Businesses with Privacy as the Ultimate Dealmaker," Journal of Data Protection and Privacy, February 2018
- "Ben ik verplicht om een gegevensbeschermings- effectbeoordeling uit te voeren?" Tijdschrift voor Privacy & Persoonsgegevens, January 2018
- "Algemene verordening gegevensbescherming: vijf nieuwigheden van dichterbij bekeken," Cahier du Juriste, April 2017
- "Gegevensbescherming en AVG in praktijk: impact en aansprakelijkheid bij een M&A transactie," Data Protection & Privacy - Le GDPR dans la pratique, Anthemis, 2017
- Brussels Bar