Privacy and Data Protection
Kelly Singleton is an associate in the Washington, D.C., office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where her practice focuses on state, federal, and international privacy and cybersecurity issues. Kelly counsels clients on the lawful collection, use, and disclosure of customer information, data breach response, and government investigations of companies' privacy and cybersecurity practices.
Kelly has experience advising clients on compliance with privacy laws and regulations, preparing privacy policies, and litigating privacy and technology related legal issues pertaining to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act, state data breach notification laws, and other state privacy and consumer protection laws.
During law school, Kelly worked as a technology law clerk to U.S. Senator Ron Wyden, a research assistant for the Georgetown Law Center on Privacy & Technology, an open government intern at the Electronic Privacy Information Center, and a legal intern at the U.S. Department of Justice's Office of Privacy and Civil Liberties.
Prior to joining the firm, Kelly worked on privacy and technology-related litigation at a boutique law firm in Chicago.EDUCATION:
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
Teaching Fellow, Privacy, Civil Liberties & Face Recognition: Legislating Privacy Protections for 21st Century Tracking Technology
- B.A., Philosophy, George Washington University
With Departmental Honors; Magna Cum Laude; Member, Phi Sigma Tau International Philosophy Honor Society; Dean's List
- "Federal Judge Allows Researchers' First Amendment Challenge to CFAA's 'Access' Provision to Move Forward," The WSGR Data Advisor, May 23, 2018
- Co-author with M. Staples, "New FTC Report Recommends Steps to Improve Mobile Security Updates," The WSGR Data Advisor, May 23, 2018
- Co-author with L. Parnes, "'Two Cops on the Beat is Nothing Unusual': Ninth Circuit Reverses Panel Decision, Rules FTC Act's 'Common Carrier' Exemption is Activity-Based," The WSGR Data Advisor, March 26, 2018
- Co-author with E. Holman, "FTC Announces Settlement with PayPal for Alleged FTC Act and GLBA Violations by Venmo," The WSGR Data Advisor, March 26, 2018
- "Illinois Appellate Court Holds That BIPA Plaintiffs Must Show Actual Harm," The WSGR Data Advisor, March 26, 2018
- "Net Neutrality Forum," Chicago Committee to Defend the Bill of Rights, December 10, 2017
- Admitted only in Illinois
- Practice supervised by a member of the Bar of the District of Columbia
- Not admitted in the District of Columbia