DANIEL C. GLAZER
Daniel Glazer is a partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where he leads the New York office's technology transactions practice. Dan also is a member of the firm’s U.S. expansion practice, with a focus on advising UK and other non-U.S. technology and growth companies on U.S. expansion, fundraising, and strategic partnership transactions.
Dan's practice focuses on commercial, technology, and intellectual property matters, with a particular emphasis on licensing, sourcing, and services arrangements, as well as the IP and IT aspects of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and other complex corporate transactions. His clients range from early-stage start-ups to Fortune 100 companies.
Dan also works closely with UK, U.S., and Irish investors, accelerators, and government agencies on cross-border trade and investment initiatives, and publishes an ongoing article series on these topics. He is a Fellow at Tech City UK, the British American Project, and the Royal Society of the Arts, was appointed a GlobalScot trade advisor by the Scottish Government, and worked with the U.S. Department of Commerce on the development of its "SelectUSA Tech" program to assist non-U.S. technology companies with U.S. expansion.
Dan has mentored on U.S. expansion and fundraising at European and U.S. accelerators and incubators such as 500 Startups, Techstars, Seedcamp, Barclays, Startupbootcamp, Level39, Microsoft Ventures, Spark Labs, MassChallenge UK, Wayra, London Stock Exchange ELITE, and Tech City UK Future Fifty.
Dan is a frequent speaker and author; his publications include Practical Law Company's primary resources on data licensing and on IP/IT issues in M&A transactions, as well as the legal guide "Coming to America: The Legal Basics."
Dan was honored by The American Lawyer as its 2015 "Transatlantic Innovator of the Year" and by Tech City News as one of the London tech community's leading "International Connectors." He also has been recognized by the New York Law Journal, Chambers USA, Legal 500, and Smart CEO Magazine.
Prior to joining the firm, Dan was a partner in the New York and London offices of Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP, where he co-led the technology transactions and emerging companies groups.EDUCATION:
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1998
- A.B., History, Dartmouth College, 1995
Summa Cum Laude
- Member, International Technology Law Association
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, Business Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Section of International Law, American Bar Association
- Member, IP and Technology Advisory Board, Practical Law Company
- Senior Editor, The Trademark Reporter
- Fellow, Tech City UK
- Fellow, Royal Society of the Arts
- Member, Tech London Advocates
- Member, GlobalScot Network
- Member, GlobalCelt Network
- Recognized by The American Lawyer as its 2015 "Transatlantic Innovator of the Year"
- Named as a leading technology and outsourcing lawyer in the 2015, 2016, and 2017 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Honored by SmartCEO Magazine as its 2014 "Practice of the Year"
- Selected by Tech City News in 2014 as one of the London technology community's top 10 international "Connectors"
- Named among The New York Law Journal's 2013 Under-40 "Rising Stars"
- Recognized as a leading transactional attorney by The Legal 500, Best Lawyers in America, and Super Lawyers
- Co-author of Notion Capital blog on U.S. expansion and U.S. fundraising, 2015-16
- Co-author, "Stripe Atlas: Learning to Drive the U.S. Ferrari," Tech.eu, March 23, 2016
- Co-author, "When should a European startup seek funding from U.S. VCs?" Tech.eu, February 18, 2016
- Co-author, "End of the Delaware Flip: Why U.S. Investors Are Targeting UK Start-Ups," City A.M., December 22, 2015
- Author, "Coming to America: Five Tips for the Transatlantic Leap," Tech City News, October 2014
- Co-author, "Handling Data Privacy Issues in M&A Transactions," The M&A Lawyer, Vol. 18, No. 6, June 2014
- Editor, "Coming to America: The Legal Basics," Fried Frank Technology, June 2014
- Co-author, "Data as IP and Data License Agreements," Practical Law The Journal, October 2013
- Co-author, "Closing the Loop: Open-Source Software Licenses Represent an Often-Overlooked Minefield in M&A Transactions," The Daily Deal, April 29, 2013
- "Intellectual Property: Stock Purchases and Mergers," Practical Law Company, April 24, 2013
- Co-author, "Inoculating Your Purchase—Contractual Protection from Viral Licenses in M&A Transactions," Association of Corporate Counsel, Greater New York Chapter, March 2013
- Co-author, "Five Key IP Issues in Software Development Agreements," Corporate Counsel, February 27, 2013
- Co-author, "Acquisitions and IP Licenses: Looking Out for Poison Pill Affiliate," New York Law Journal, January 10, 2013
- "Intellectual Property in Asset Purchase Transactions," Practical Law The Journal, November 2012
- "Transitional Trademark License Clauses (Pro-Buyer)," Practical Law Company, August 10, 2012
- "Negotiating Technology Transactions with U.S. Businesses," UKTI Trade Services, July 2012
- "Transitional Trademark: License Clauses (Pro-Seller)," Practical Law Company, February 1, 2012
- "Intellectual Property: Stock Purchases and Mergers," The M&A Journal, Vol. 12, No. 3, December 2011
- "Intellectual Property: Asset Purchases," Practical Law Company, November 1, 2011
- "'Marvel' and the Importance of Careful Drafting in Transferring IP Rights," New York Law Journal, September 12, 2011
- "Effects of Mergers and Non-Assignable Agreements," New York Law Journal, July 14, 2011
- Co-author, "IP Audits: Making the Most of Your Intellectual Property," Intellectual Property Today, May 2011
- "U.S. Supreme Court to Consider First-Sale Doctrine," Intellectual Property Today, April 2010
- Co-author, "Twitter for In-House Counsel," Intellectual Property Today, March 2010
- "Standing and Joinder in Trademark Litigation and Licenses," The Trademark Reporter, November/December 2009
- Speaker, "Intellectual Property in M&A Transactions," Practical Law Company webinar, May 18, 2016
- Presenter, "Coming to America: Bob and Judy's Great American Adventure," South by Southwest, Austin, Texas, March 14, 2016
- Panelist, "Cross-Border IP Portfolio Management," GOAL's Global IP Conference and Exhibition, September 9, 2014
- Speaker, "Coming to America: Bring Your Start-Up to the U.S. – Part I," Early Growth Financial Services webinar, July 22, 2014
- Speaker, "Drafting and Negotiating IP/IT Provisions in M&A Transactions," Practical Law Company webinar, July 9, 2014
- Panelist, "Practical Aspects of U.S. Expansion," SelectUSA's Build Your Tech Business in the United States seminar, Dublin, Ireland, June 25, 2014
- Panelist, "How Not to Get Fired! A Unique Insight from In-House Counsel and Experienced External Lawyers on What Multinational Companies Expect from Their Outside Counsel," ABA Section of International Law Spring Meeting, New York, New York, April 2, 2014
- Speaker, "Intellectual Property in M&A Transactions," Practical Law Company webinar, January 22, 2014
- Speaker, "Software Development Agreements: Negotiating and Drafting Key Provisions," Strafford Publications webinar, January 21, 2014
- Speaker, "Data as IP: Issues in Drafting Data Agreements," Practical Law Company webinar, July 17, 2013
- Panelist, "Negotiating Information Technology Provisions in M&A Transactions," ITechLaw's2013 World Technology Law Conference & Annual Meeting, Scottsdale, Arizona, May 2013
- State Bar of New York
- State Bar of New Jersey
- Registered Foreign Lawyer in England and Wales