JOHN P. FLYNN
John P. Flynn is a veteran trial lawyer. With 30 years of experience in high-stakes, enterprise-threatening corporate and commercial litigation, John has tried or arbitrated more than 50 matters to conclusion. He has tried cases in areas ranging from intellectual property and trade secrets, securities and professional liability, and entertainment and employment law to human rights. John's broad litigation and trial experience allows him to develop strategy and evidence with a clear understanding of how a case will ultimately be presented to a judge, jury, or arbitrator. Representing plaintiffs and defendants, John has recovered more than $250 million for clients to date.
Prior to joining the firm in the San Francisco office, John was a partner and co-founder of the litigation firm McLeod, Moscarino, Witham & Flynn in San Francisco. He previously was a partner at Latham & Watkins and Dewey Ballantine, after beginning his career at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom.SELECT REPRESENTATIONS:
- Represented a semiconductor manufacturer in a trade secrets litigation in which the plaintiff sought $40 million in damages and was awarded nothing by the jury.
- Represented a company specializing in gas and radiation detection technologies in several matters pertaining to licensing, trade secrets, and business torts. John obtained a complete defense award on a claim for the alleged misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented several victims of a human trafficking scheme in a civil action against the perpetrators. The matter was settled for $8.9 million during trial—one of the largest settlements ever obtained on behalf of victims of human trafficking.
- Represented a major multimedia entertainment company in a consumer class action seeking more than $50 million in damages and restitution. John also represented this client in a series of federal copyright infringement and state law "theft-of-idea" actions, shareholder derivative lawsuits, and other commercial matters.
- Represented a nonprofit healthcare system and its individual directors in a series of corporate governance lawsuits challenging actions taken in response to changes in the Southern California market for healthcare services. John represented these clients in the trial court and on appeal, and obtained summary judgment on their behalf.
- Represented several major oil companies in a broad range of commercial cases resulting from refinery explosions; dealer disputes; employment issues; exposure to toxic chemicals; civil, administrative, and criminal environmental matters; and pipeline and other transportation issues. John successfully tried many of these cases to judgment, including a series of environmental cases and several personal injury and acute exposure cases.
- Represented a number of large public employee pension funds in malpractice actions against outside professionals.
- Represented a major North American reinsurer in several arbitrations concerning losses from the reinsurance of workers' compensation carve-out business.
- Represented several pharmaceutical companies in product liability cases involving deaths and serious injuries.
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1987
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1984
- Member, State Bar of California
- Member, New York Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of New York
- All U.S. District Courts in California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit