SONAL MITTAL TOLMAN
Privacy and Data Protection
Sonal Mittal Tolman is an associate at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati in the firm's privacy and data protection and Internet law and strategy practices. She counsels technology companies on novel issues arising under unsettled privacy and Internet law, and has represented them in complex regulatory investigations and class action litigation at the state and federal levels.
Sonal has written several academic papers on mesh networks, Bitcoin, digital advertising, and auction theory that have been cited by experts in the field. Prior to joining the firm, she interned at Judicata, a cutting-edge legal data start-up, and at Google.REPRESENTATIVE REGULATORY MATTERS:
- Assisted a consumer electronics company in a series of investigations at the federal and state levels into the client's collection of data through a connected consumer entertainment device.
- Assisted an advertising technology company in privacy investigations at the federal and state levels, and by a self-regulatory group
- Assisted a popular app provider in responding to congressional inquiries concerning the company's practices
- Singh v. Google Inc. Counsel to Google in a putative class action challenging representations about click fraud on Google's AdWords platform under California contract and consumer protection laws.
- Henson v. Turn Inc. (U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California) and Kay v. Turn Inc. (Superior Court of California for the County of Los Angeles). Assisted Turn in these putative class action lawsuits in federal and state court that alleged that Turn, which provides an online advertising technology platform, used "super cookies" in violation of state privacy and consumer protection laws, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and the Video Privacy Protection Act.
- Foley v. LG Electronics, Inc. Assisted LG Electronics (LGE) in this putative class action alleging that various LGE electronic ovens do not operate in compliance with their stated "Sabbath Mode" feature. Plaintiff asserts claims under various federal and state laws.
- LG Electronics
- J.D., Harvard Law School
Cum Laude; Semi-Finalist, Ames Moot Court Competition
- B.S., Computer Science, Stanford University
With Honors, Tau Beta Pi
- B.A., Economics, Stanford University
Phi Beta Kappa
- Member, Privacy Subcommittee, Antitrust, UCL, and Privacy Section, California Lawyers Association
- Honored with the Wiley W. Manuel Certificate for Pro Bono Legal Services by the State Bar of California in 2018
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit