Zhan Chen is a partner in the Greater China practice at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where she focuses on mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions. She has extensive experience with cross-border public and private company mergers and acquisitions, going-private transactions, private equity investments, private investment in public equity (PIPE) transactions, and foreign direct investments in China. In addition, she represents companies in connection with debt and equity securities offerings and advises clients on general corporate and governance matters. Her work covers a variety of industries, including technology, entertainment, healthcare, semiconductors, financial institutions, and energy.
Prior to joining the firm, Zhan practiced for 10 years at a leading U.S. law firm in New York and Hong Kong. She is a native Mandarin speaker and fluent in English.SELECT REPRESENTATIONS:
- Represented the founder and buyer consortium in the going-private transaction of WuXi PharmaTech
- Represented the controlling shareholders and the buyer consortium in the going-private transaction of Shanda Games Limited
- Represented Orient Hontai Capital in the taking-private transaction of China Mobile Games and Entertainment
- Represented the founder and buyer consortium in the going-private transaction of Giant Interactive
- Represented RDA Microelectronics in its acquisition by Tsinghua Unigroup
- Represented Sequoia Capital in the going-private transaction of Bona Film
- Represented Sunshine Kaidi in multiple acquisitions in the U.S.
- Represented a group of investors in the consortium's investment in Focus Media after its privatization
- Represented Boyu Capital in its investment in Alibaba Group in connection with Alibaba Group's repurchase of shares from Yahoo!
- Represented Tencent in multiple minority investments
- Represented the controlling shareholder in the privatization of Syswin Inc.
- Represented companies in venture capital and private equity financings, including recent transactions by Wifimaster and Agora
- Represented Charles River Laboratories International in its proposed takeover of NYSE-listed Wuxi PharmaTech
- Represented Shanda Interactive Entertainment Limited in its going-private transaction and in connection with numerous acquisitions of public and private companies and assets
- Represented China Investment Corporation in connection with several investments
- Represented Advanced Semiconductor Engineering in its privatization of ASE Test
- Represented Linktone in the tender offer and additional equity investment by PT Media Nusantara Citra
- Represented Tianwei New Energy in its acquisition of a majority stake in Nasdaq-listed company Hoku
- Represented Zhuhai Yintong in its acquisition of a majority stake in Nasdaq-listed company Altair Nanotechnologies
- Represented IDG Capital Partners on its investments in several companies based in China, Singapore, and the U.S.
- Represented Warburg Pincus in its acquisition of a majority stake in Datong Insurance, a subsidiary of Cninsure
- Represented CITIC PE, CITIC Capital, and New Horizon in various private equity investments
- Advised on Golden Wheel's high-yield RMB bond offering
- Advised on Lonking Holdings Limited's high-yield bond offering
- J.D., Columbia Law School, 2002
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, Olin Fellow
- M.A., Economics, State University of New York, Buffalo, 1999
Presidential Fellow; Recipient, Graduate School Scholarship
- B.A., Economics, Shanghai International Studies University, 1993
Honor Graduate; Recipient, University Scholarship
- State Bar of New York
- Hong Kong