Privacy and Data Protection
Lydia Parnes is a partner in the Washington, D.C., office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where she is co-chair of the firm's privacy and cybersecurity practice. She regularly represents companies in complex regulatory investigations and provides advice on complying with federal, state, and global privacy and data protection laws.
The former director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection (BCP) at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Lydia is a highly regarded privacy expert. As director of the BCP, Lydia oversaw privacy and data security enforcement efforts and the development of the FTC's approach to online advertising. She testified on numerous occasions on the benefits of a uniform nationwide data breach law and the risks of legislating in the technology area.
Lydia advises companies on how to navigate global privacy and data security requirements while pursuing their business goals. She helps them develop and implement comprehensive privacy compliance programs and understand the nuances of regulation and self-regulation in the privacy arena. Lydia regularly represents clients before the FTC and other federal and state agencies.
Lydia was named a top lawyer in the cybersecurity category by Washingtonian Magazine in 2017 and 2015 and is regularly recognized in Chambers USA, Chambers Global, and The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers as among the country's top privacy and data security attorneys. In 2012, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati was recognized by Law360 as a "top privacy and consumer protection" law firm.
Lydia speaks throughout the country on developments in data security and privacy.REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS:
- Successfully represented a major electronics manufacturer in an FTC investigation into the company's client's collection of data through a connected consumer entertainment device.
- Successfully represented several companies in FTC investigations into compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Successfully represented a client in an industry-wide FTC investigation involving crowdfunding.
- Represent multiple companies in FTC data security compliance investigations.
- Successfully represented multiple companies in FTC data security investigations.
- Successfully represented multiple mobile application developers in FTC COPPA investigations.
- Counsel connected device manufacturers on privacy compliance.
- Counsel multiple companies on compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.
- J.D., Washington College of Law at American University
- B.A., Political Science, American University
- Advisory Board, Center for Democracy and Technology
- Editorial Board, The Antitrust Source, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Presidential Transition Task Force, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association (2017)
- Vice Chair, Privacy and Information Security Committee, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association (2013-2016)
- Co-chair, 2013 Consumer Protection Conference, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Consumer Protection Committee, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association (2009-2012)
- Member, International Task Force, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association (2010-2011)
- Member, Long Range Planning Committee, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association (2010-2011)
- Member, Department of Homeland Security Data Privacy and Integrity Advisory Committee (2011-2013)
- Board Member, Council of Better Business Bureaus (2010-2013)
- Board Member, Internet Keep Safe Coalition (iKeepSafe) (2009-2012)
- Deputy Executive Director, President's Task Force on Identity Theft (2007)
- Named as a 2015 and 2017 "Top Lawyer" in the cybersecurity category by Washingtonian magazine
- Recognized in the privacy and data security category of Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2011-2018
- Named among the country's top privacy and data security attorneys in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2010-2018
- Selected for inclusion in the Internet, e-commerce, and data protection category of The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers in 2012
- Recognized in 2012 as a member of the team honored among Law360's "Privacy and Consumer Protection Practice Groups of the Year"
- Recipient of the Presidential Rank of Meritorious Executive, 2004
- Panelist, "Spotlight: State Enforcement," Incident Response Forum 2018
- Panelist, "The Future of FTC Privacy and Data Security Policy," Fifth Annual Symposium on the Law and Economics of Privacy and Data Security: Developing a Cost-Benefit Framework for Data Policy, George Mason University and the Future of Privacy Forum, June 2017
- Speaker, "Privacy and Data Security: How to Effectively Position Your Company to Face the Latest Challenges," WSGR panel presentation, Austin, Texas, April 2017
- Panelist, "So You Got A CID: How to Work with the FTC, FCC, and State AG's," Global Summit, International Association of Privacy Professionals, April 2017
- Panelist, "Competition and Consumer Law Issues Raised by Customer Profiling," Annual Meeting of the Antitrust Section, American Bar Association, March 2017
- Moderator, "Privacy and Data Security," WSGR Fintech Conference: Current Issues Facing Fintech Companies and Investors, Menlo Park, California, February 2017
- Panelist, "Regulatory Expectations in a New Administration," WSGR panel presentation, Menlo Park, California, January 2017
- Bar of the District of Columbia
- State Bar of New York