ANDREW T. BRAFF
Energy and Infrastructure
Andrew Braff is Of Counsel in the Seattle office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where his practice focuses on infrastructure and energy project development, project finance, and other commercial transactions. Andy's work primarily involves assisting developers of solar, biomass, biofuels, biogas, geothermal, wind, CHP, renewable chemical, and energy storage projects, as well as manufacturing facilities. His experience includes advising on, negotiating, and drafting complex construction and commercial documentation, including: engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) agreements; build-transfer agreements; supply and offtake agreements; contract manufacturing agreements; equipment purchase and sale agreements; operation and maintenance (O&M) agreements; and real property sale and lease agreements. Andy's practice also includes advising on joint ventures, acquisitions (asset and equity), federal government contracts, and assisting clients in securing non-dilutive government financing for project development, including through the U.S. Department of Energy's and Department of Agriculture's Loan Guarantee Programs.
Andy previously served as an extern for Justice Mary E. Fairhurst of the Washington State Supreme Court, and as an advisor to California State Assemblyman, Mark Wyland, and Congressman George R. Nethercutt, Jr.REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS:
- Represent an asset management company in EPC contract matters involved in its acquisition of dozens of development-stage commercial and industrial solar projects at commencement of construction, including the largest behind-the-meter project in the United States.
- Represent a developer of residential solar projects in commercial and project development transactions, including numerous long-term supply agreements for the procurement of PV modules, inverters, racking, and batteries.
- Advise a project company in corporate, debt financing, construction, O&M, and commercial matters involving a $1 billion solar thermal electric generating facility.
- Represent a solar project developer in its ITC Safe Harbor procurement of PV modules and step-up transformers for a portfolio of utility-scale solar projects.
- Represented an industrial biotechnology chemical company with proprietary technology for the production of sustainable chemicals from renewable resources, in connection with its first commercial-scale facility in Malaysia.
- Represented a company with a proprietary process to convert CO2 into valuable commodities in its $80 million sale-leaseback financing for its first commercial project.
- Represented a battery storage project developer in negotiating a multi-year, master purchase and sale agreement for over 100MW of batteries and related equipment.
- Represent a combined heat and power (CHP) project developer on multiple projects in New York and other states.
- Represented a utility in connection with various natural gas purchase, sale, and exchange agreements, as well as a build-transfer agreement involving subsea transmission facilities associated with an offshore wind project.
- Represented a multibillion-dollar private company in its sale of a development-stage, utility-scale solar PV project being developed on BLM lands.
- Represented developer in its negotiation of an EPC agreement with a public utility for the development of a 14MW fuel cell generating facility.
- Represented a construction contractor in its negotiation of EPC agreements and subcontracts for the development of multiple substations.
- Advised a lender in connection with its financing of multiple advanced biofuels projects receiving U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) loan guarantees under Section 9003 of the Farm Bill.
- Represented the developer of a manufacturing facility receiving a Title XVII loan guarantee in its negotiation of construction, raw material procurement, product sales, and O&M agreements.
- Advised multiple geothermal project developers regarding geothermal leases, surface leases, unit agreements, and joint development agreements.
- Andy advises the Algae Biomass Organization, a 501(c)(6) trade association promoting the development of viable technologies and commercial markets for renewable and sustainable products derived from algae, and the Algae Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization encouraging the use of algae as a fundamental source of energy, nutrition, products, and ecological services through education, charitable efforts, and scholarships.
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 2006
- B.A., Whitman College, 2000
Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- "PV Project Performance Guarantees – Commercial, Legal and Technical Considerations," Hot Issues in PV Performance and Solar Project Finance webinar series, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, October 31, 2012
- "Algal Biofuels and Federal Policy: RFS2 and Other Policy Issues," presentation at the Fourth Annual EBI Biofuels Law and Regulation Conference, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, April 25, 2012
- "Strategies for Ensuring Module Quality Prior to Installation," Hot Issues in PV Performance and Solar Project Finance webinar series, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, April 11, 2012
- "Geothermal Leasing Essentials and the Anatomy of a Geothermal Lease," presentation at Geothermal Resource Council's 33rd Annual Meeting, Reno, NV, October 2, 2009
- "Geothermal Site Acquisition and Early Development: Key Legal Issues and Emerging Strategies," Geothermal Energy Conference and Expo, Reno, NV, October 6, 2008 (Co-author with Peter Mostow)
- "Algae: The Next Biofuel? Recent Developments and the Financial Landscape," presentation at the Renewable Energy Finance and Investment Summit, Scottsdale, AZ, May 20, 2008
- "Biofuels from Algae," testimony before a Joint Session of the House Technology, Energy and Communications Committee and the Senate Water, Energy and Telecommunications Committee, Olympia, WA, February 21, 2008
- "The Federal Renewable Fuel Standard ("RFS") Program: Operational Highlights and Outlook," presentation at 2007 Biofuels Workshop and Trade Show—Western Region, Portland, OR, October 10, 2007
- State Bar of Washington