Weiheng Chen is a partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where he heads the firm's Greater China practice. He is also a member of the firm's Compensation Committee.
Weiheng's practice is focused on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity, and capital markets transactions in Greater China. He has represented clients in connection with some of the largest and most significant M&A and capital market deals involving Chinese companies in a variety of industries, including technology, media and telecom, healthcare, education, consumer, and financial institutions. He also has worked on a large number of private equity and venture capital investment, going-private, joint venture, and restructuring transactions in China involving private equity and venture capital firms and multinational corporations. In addition, Weiheng has advised on many high-profile securities offerings, including Hong Kong IPOs and HKSE listings, and SEC-registered offerings and NYSE and NASDAQ listings. He has extensive experience representing both issuers and underwriters.
Weiheng is a native Mandarin speaker and is fluent in English. He started his legal career in New York, and has been residing in Hong Kong since 2003. He splits his time among the firm's three offices in Greater China, located in Hong Kong, Beijing, and Shanghai.SELECT REPRESENTATIONS:
- Represented Boyu Capital, Centurium Capital, L Catterton, Sequoia Capital, Silver Lake, Warburg Pincus, and other private equity and growth capital funds in connection with various investment and M&A transactions in China
- Represented technology and healthcare companies such as Tencent, DJI International, and WuXi Pharma in their various investment and financing matters
- Advising the consortium led by Yunfeng Capital and Alibaba in the announced going-private transaction of iKang Healthcare
- Represented the acquisition consortium in the going-private transaction of Dongpeng Holdings
- Represented the management shareholders and the acquisition consortium in the going-private transaction of WuXi PharmaTech
- Represented OmniVision Technologies in its acquisition by a Chinese consortium of investors
- Represented Integrated Silicon Solution Inc. in its sale to a Chinese consortium of investors
- Represented Sequoia Capital in the merger between Meituan and Dianping
- Represented the acquisition consortium in the announced going-private transaction of Shanda Games
- Represented the founder and the acquisition consortium in the going-private transaction of Giant Interactive
- Represent RDA Microelectronics in its merger with Tsinghua Unigroup
- Represented Boyu Capital in its equity investment in Alibaba Group in connection with Alibaba's share repurchase from Yahoo!
- Represented TJOY Holdings in the sale of its China skincare business to Coty, Inc.
- Represented State Grid International Development in its acquisition of power transmission assets in Brazil
- Represented Waste Management Inc. in its waste-to-energy joint venture with Shanghai Chentou Holdings in China
- Represented China Huaneng Group in its acquisition of Tuas Power in Singapore
- Represented C-BONS International in the sale of its China haircare business to Beiersdorf AG
- Represented CVC Partners in its sale of Adisseo to ChemChina
- Represented Bank of China in connection with its strategic sales to Royal Bank of Scotland, UBS, Temasek, and Asian Development Bank
- Represented Thomson in the combination of its global television business with TCL's
- Advised on the Hong Kong IPOs and HKSE listings of WuXi AppTec, Wanka Online, WuXi Biologics, Rici Healthcare, Universal Medical, PW MedTech, Dongpeng Holdings, Alibaba.com, Bank of China, and China Shenhua Energy
- Advised on the U.S. public offerings and/or listings of Tencent Music Entertainment, X Financial, Opera Limited, Puxin Education, Bright Scholar, China Biologic Products, Autohome, China Nepstar Chain Drugstore, and Mindray Medical
- Provided underwriter-side representation to investment banks, including Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank, Morgan Stanley, CICC, Citi, JP Morgan, Credit Suisse, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, and UBS
- LL.M., Harvard Law School
- Master of Jurisprudence and LL.B., Peking University Law School
- Designated as one of the "World's Leading Private Equity Lawyers" by IFLR/Euromoney
- Recognized in the 2019 edition of IFLR 1000
- Named to "The A-List 2018: China's Elite Lawyers" by China Business Law Journal
- State Bar of New York
- Hong Kong