ENERGY & CLEAN TECHNOLOGY
International energy security, climate change, rising energy and commodity prices, and water and other resource constraints are driving a worldwide transformation in the way that energy and natural resources are produced, distributed, and consumed. Companies and capital devoted to the promotion of efficient, sustainable, and responsible uses of energy and natural resources represent a massive opportunity for technological innovation that will transform our global infrastructure. As the leading law firm to innovative technology and growth companies, we are uniquely positioned at the forefront of this global opportunity in energy and clean technology.
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati is actively advancing the interests of hundreds of emerging companies, mature energy technology and project development enterprises, and major public corporations seeking to be tomorrow's energy and resources leaders. Our team provides strategic counsel to clients across a broad range of industry sectors, including advanced energy generation (such as solar, wind, geothermal, biomass, waste-to-energy, natural gas, cleaner coal, and hydrokinetic); battery and other energy storage technologies; energy efficiency; transmission, distribution, and smart grid; green building; bio-based chemicals; and electric vehicle, biofuels, and other transportation technologies. We also represent many of the leading venture capital firms, private equity firms, and energy project investors critical to the development and commercialization of those technologies.
With more than 400 energy and clean technology clients, we have built a strategic integrated practice designed to meet a variety of complex and interconnected needs. Our services include the following:
- Emerging Company, Private Equity & Venture Finance. Our attorneys provide strategic counsel to innovative energy and clean technology companies and represent many of the leading venture capital and private equity firms, investment banks, and energy project investors.
- Project Development & Finance. Our team of seasoned attorneys has extensive experience developing and financing major energy and infrastructure projects both domestically and abroad.
- Intellectual Property Transactions, Counseling & Patents. The firm's technology transactions and IP counseling and patents attorneys work closely with the companies, entrepreneurs, and investors who create and commercialize energy and clean technology ventures.
- Distributed Generation, Energy Efficiency and Storage, and Microgrids. We assist energy users, developers, and financiers with the development, contracting, financing, construction, and operation of projects related to behind-the-meter distributed generation, community solar, energy storage and management, energy efficiency initiatives, and microgrids.
- Climate Change & Carbon Counseling. Our specialized team counsels clients on the ways in which existing and emerging greenhouse gas regulations may affect their businesses and how they might find opportunities in the GHG-offset market.
- Government Initiatives. Our government initiatives practice works closely with clients to leverage government and other alternative funding sources and to build strategic partnerships to help drive market and technology development.