MICHAEL J. HOSTETLER
Clean Technology IP Counseling & Patents
Energy Innovation & Clean Technology
IP Counseling & Patents
Dr. Michael Hostetler is a partner in the San Diego office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati. He practices in the area of intellectual property law, including patent prosecution, litigation, interferences, opinions, and licensing matters. Michael represents clients in the clean technology, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and nanotechnology industries.
Michael currently serves as a member of the firm's Policy Committee.SELECT CLIENTS:
- Acucela, Inc.
- Age of Learning, Inc.
- Ambrx, Inc.
- Bio-Tissue, Inc.
- Lumena Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Pharmacyclics, Inc.
- PharmAkea Therapeutics (formerly known as PharmAria)
- Organovo, Inc.
- Otonomy, Inc.
- QuantiCel Pharma, Inc. (formerly known as QC Laboratories, Inc.)
- The Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute
- Seragon Pharmaceuticals
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 2001
Order of the Coif; Summa Cum Laude; Grand Prize Winner, Duke Business Plan Competition
- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, 1992
- B.S., Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1987
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Chemical Society
- Member, San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- Co-author, "Synthesis and Reactivity of Cp2Ta(CH2)2Ir(CO)2: An Early-Late Heterobimetallic Complex that Catalytically Hydrogenates, Isomerizes, and Hydrosilates Alkenes," Journal of the American Chemical Society 113, 1991
- Co-author, "Reactions of Primary Organosilanes on Transition Metal Surfaces: Identification of the First Surface-Bound Silylynes," Journal of the American Chemical Society 116, 1994
- Co-author, "Gold Nanoelectrodes of Varied Size: Transition to Molecule-Like Charging," Science 280, 1998
Since 2004, Michael has delivered an annual presentation titled "Patent Law in Biomedical Engineering" at the University of California, Irvine, Department of Biomedical Engineering.ADMISSIONS:
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office