IP Counseling & Patents
Medical Device Patents
Michael Rosato is a partner in the Seattle office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where he focuses on intellectual property protection and counseling for medical device and biotechnology companies. He has significant experience with international and domestic patent protection and enforcement for both early- and later-stage companies, often involving a combination of mechanical technologies, software systems and electronics, and medical sciences or biotechnology.
Michael devotes a considerable portion of his practice to the representation of clients in contested proceedings at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He has served as lead counsel in numerous patent interferences and reexamination procedures, and has handled dozens of appeals before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences.
Michael's medical device clients span a wide range of technologies, including minimally invasive surgery, electrosurgical and ablation systems, orthopedic devices, medical imaging, orthodontics, cardiology, and diagnostics. He also has worked with research institutions and biotechnology enterprises, as well as companies in the alternative energy, business method, and Internet-based technology sectors.
Prior to joining the firm, Michael was an intellectual property partner in the Seattle office of Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton (formerly Townsend and Townsend and Crew). He began his legal career at DLA Piper and previously worked as a patent agent for microfluidics device manufacturer Micronics.EDUCATION:
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 2002
Member, Tech Law Society
- M.S., Toxicology, University of Washington, 1999
- B.S., Biochemistry, Rutgers University, 1996
George H. Cook Scholar
- Member, Washington Biotechnology and Biomedical Association
- Member, King County Bar Association
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, Washington State Patent Law Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Named to Washington Super Lawyers' list of "Rising Stars" in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2012
- Presenter, "Cost-Effective Patent Protection," ALM 7th Annual IP Counsel Forum, San Jose, California, March 2011
- Presenter, "Early-Stage Patent Protection," Life Sciences Start-Up Seminar, Washington Biotechnology and Biomedical Association, September 2010
- State Bar of Washington
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office