Privacy & Data Security
Wendell Bartnick is an associate in Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati's Washington, D.C., office, where he counsels clients regarding information privacy, data security, consumer protection, and e-commerce matters. His experience includes the representation of companies ranging in size from privately funded start-ups to large, multinational public companies.
Wendell works with companies to assess and mitigate statutory, regulatory, private litigation, and other legal and practical risks. This area of his practice covers the evaluation of law relating to data management and use in Internet, finance, and healthcare contexts, including the CAN-SPAM Act, TCPA, COPPA, FCRA, GLBA, HIPAA, and security breach legislation. The International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) has designated Wendell a Certified Information Privacy Professional.
Wendell also has helped companies respond to government inquiries and investigations, and his practice covers a variety of antitrust issues as well.
Prior to joining Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, he was a law clerk to the Honorable C. Clarke Raley of the Circuit Court of Maryland.EDUCATION:
- J.D., George Mason University School of Law, 2008
Magna Cum Laude; Articles Editor, George Mason Law Review
- B.A., Computer Science, Macalester College, 1999
- Co-author, "RockYou and the FTC: Privacy Policies vs. Practices," Law360: Privacy & Consumer Protection, May 10, 2012
- "FTC Releases Final Privacy Report, Sets Forth Best Practices, and Calls for Federal Privacy, Data Security, and Breach Notification Legislation," WSGR Alert, March 29, 2012
- "New Principles for the Collection of Data Online Released," WSGR Alert, November 17, 2011
- "Federal Trade Commission Announces Settlement with Skidekids.com: Company Did Not Obtain Verifiable Parental Consent before Collecting Children's Personal Information," WSGR Alert, November 14, 2011
- Bar of the District of Columbia
- State Bar of Maryland
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Virginia