Energy & Infrastructure Finance
Project Development & Transactions
Energy Innovation & Clean Technology
Chris Groobey is a partner in the Washington, D.C., office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where his practice is focused on project finance, corporate finance, and merger and acquisition transactions involving the energy and clean technology industries. He has particular expertise with respect to syndicated loan and debt capital markets transactions; the development, financing, sale, and acquisition of domestic and international energy projects; and arranging capital for new and established energy companies.
Chris's practice is focused on the financing of renewable energy and clean technology companies and their projects. He has extensive experience with all types of renewable energy technologies, including wind, solar, geothermal, biomass and biogas power generation, first- and next-generation biofuels and biochemicals, and new technologies such as fuel cells, wave power, clean water, and agricultural products. He has represented energy and clean technology companies, private equity funds, investment banks, commercial banks, and multilateral agencies in transactions throughout the United States, Latin America, and Asia.
Prior to joining the firm, Chris was a partner at Baker & McKenzie. Earlier in his career, he practiced at Chadbourne & Parke and Perkins Coie.SELECT CLIENTS:
- Algenol Biofuels
- Cobalt Technologies
- Energy Power Partners
- FuelCell Energy
- Fulcrum BioEnergy
- Leaf Clean Energy
- OPX Biotechnologies
- Renewable Energy Group
- Silicon Valley Bank
- Sundrop Fuels
- Total S.A.
- Union Bank
- US Renewables Group
- Represent Silicon Valley Bank in connection with multiple USDA-guaranteed loans to advanced fuels companies, including Sapphire Energy, Range Fuels, Coskata, Enerkem, and ZeaChem, and in connection with the project financing of a portfolio of fuel cell power generation facilities developed by Bloom Energy
- Represent Fulcrum BioEnergy, Algenol Biofuels, Sundrop Fuels, and Renewable Energy Group in connection with USDA and DOE guaranteed loans and financings
- Represent POET LLC in connection with its DOE loan guarantee for the Project Liberty cellulosic ethanol facility and subsequent joint venture with DSM
- Represent Total S.A. and affiliates in the $1.4 billion control acquisition of SunPower Corporation, related $1 billion credit support transaction, and subsequent $600 million liquidity support transaction for the CVSR solar project
- Represent TD Bank, Union Bank, and WestLB in connection with numerous project financings of wind, solar, biomass, and biofuels projects
- Represent Energy Power Partners and Leaf Clean Energy in numerous equity, debt, and M&A transactions relating to portfolio companies and their projects
- Represent FuelCell Energy in project development and finance matters
- Represent numerous first- and second-generation biofuels, distributed generation, and clean technology companies in corporate financing, project development, and finance matters and domestic and international joint venture transactions
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 1991
- B.A., Hampshire College, 1987
- Named among the country's top projects attorneys in the 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, where reviewers cited his "impressive experience of representing East Coast financial institutions and private equity investors on projects covering virtually all alternative energy sources"
- Recognized in Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business in the Projects & Energy category in 2008 and the Renewables & Alternative Energy Projects category in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014, with commentators calling him a "great lawyer – very energetic, upbeat, client-friendly and well plugged-in to the flow of the industry"
- Selected for inclusion in the Project Finance category of Legal 500
- Listed in the 2010-2014 editions of Best Lawyers in America in the area of Project Finance Law
- Co-author with A. Drake, "Department of Energy Draft Renewable Energy and Efficient Energy Loan Guarantee Solicitation Alert," WSGR Alert, April 21, 2014
- Co-author with T. McDonald, "2014 Farm Bill Provides New and Expanded Funding for Section 9003 Biorefinery Assistance Program," WSGR Alert, February 20, 2014
- Co-author with T. McDonald, "Department of Energy Advanced Fossil Energy Loan Guarantee Program Alert," WSGR Alert, December 23, 2013
- Co-author with T. McDonald, "USDA Announces $181 Million Loan Guarantee Authority Under the Section 9003 Biorefinery Assistance Loan Guarantee Program," WSGR Alert, October 16, 2013
- Co-author with T. Glass, P. Mostow, and T. McDonald, "DoD Commercial-Scale Energy Initiatives Update: PPA FRI, MATOC Announcements, and Alternative Contracting, Oh My!" WSGR Alert, April 24, 2013
- "Project Finance Primer for Renewable Energy Projects," published in the Clean Technology Primer by Jefferies & Company each year since 2008 in conjunction with their Global Clean Technology Conferences
- Chris is a frequent speaker on topics related to renewable energy and project finance and has spoken at numerous conferences, including the Platt's Global Power Markets Conference and the Euromoney/ACORE Renewable Energy Finance Forum. Recently, Chris participated in a panel discussion addressing the topic of biofuels at the Milken Institute's 2012 Global Conference; click here to view a video of the panel presentation.
- Bar of the District of Columbia
- State Bar of New York